Monday, February 18, 2013

Sure, I Can Make A Beard

Last year my son was in second grade and got to participate in the wax museum project at school.  He chose Abraham Lincoln as his character to research and dress up as.  We sat down and looked at photos of old Abe and he knew he had to have the hat.  No big deal, I can make a paper hat.  All it took was a black poster sized paper and some packaging tape.  Then he decided he needed a bow tie, again easy peasy, some ribbon and elastic. 

However, when it came to the beard I wasn't sure how I would pull that off.  I knew it couldn't be hair or anything scratchy because my son has a serious aversion to anything itchy or uncomfortable.  After some trial and error I came up with felt and elastic.  I drew and cut it out of brown felt and sewed on a piece of elastic to hold it onto his head.  Voila!  One beard that doesn't itch!

He doesn't look all that thrilled here because they were supposed to stand still like statues, but he did like being Mr. Lincoln and he seemed impressed with my impromptu costume making skills.  I thought he was adorable!

-Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment